Nightmare on Main Street
October 22 – November 13, 2021
Juror - Sueey Gutierrez
Deadline - September 27th, 2021
The Huntington Arts Council invites student artists, grades 6-12, to participate in Nightmare on Main Street; Art Inspired by the themes and narrative of Halloween.
Halloween is a celebration observed in many countries. For some, it is a time of reflection for remembering loved ones that have passed. For others it is a celebration of life. Many experience Halloween mainly with candy, costumes and spooky decorations. It all depends on your cultural background. How do you celebrate Halloween? What cultural significance does Halloween have for you? Do you enjoy dressing up in costume, watching iconic scary movies, or taking the time to think about your loved ones that have passed? Using whichever medium you desire drawing, painting, photography or sculpture etc. Show us how you celebrate Halloween and what it means to you, your family or your friends. - S. Gutierrez
About the Juror
Sueey Gutierrez is a New York based artist born and raised in Brooklyn. Her family is originally from El Salvador and is of Mayan descent. She began drawing at the age of 3 and by 6 years old had received a scholarship to study art at the Brooklyn Museum. Her passion for art is highly influenced by her cultural background, pin-up art and burlesque dance.
Sueey earned her BA from the Fashion Institute of Technology. She was an Art Educator for the Barry & Florence Friedberg JCC for five years and taught art at Success Academy Charter School. She lives on Long Island and exhibits throughout the Greater New York area.
- All student artists, grades 6-12
- All media accepted
- Entries must be original to entrant
- Framed entries require hanging wire
- Submission materials cannot be returned
- No work should exceed 48 inches in any direction
- Standing work cannot be higher than 72 inches
- Video maximum: 50 MB
- First three entries: Full-time Students $25, JOURNEY* Partner High School Students $15 (See school districts included below)
- Additional entries $5 ea.
- *JOURNEY Partner High School (Districts Included 2020-2021 School Year): Cold Spring Harbor CSD , Commack UFSD, Harborfields CSD, Huntington UFSD, Kings Park CSD, Northport-East Northport USFD, Plainview-Old Bethpage CSD, South Huntington UFSD
Please note: Entry Fees are nonrefundable
- Selected artworks are chosen by the juror
- No more than two works per artist will be selected
- Submitters will receive an email notification
- HAC waives commission on sold work for this student exhibition
Liability and Insurance
- Works are insured while in the possession of the Huntington Arts Council
- ENTRY DEADLINE: Sept 27 ‘21
- EMAIL ACCEPTANCE: Oct 5, ‘21
- DELIVER WORK BY: Oct 19, ‘21
- RECEPTION: Oct 29, ’21 (TBD)
- CLAIM WORK: Nov 16, ‘21 (9am-5pm)
- Show Runs: Oct. 22th - Nov. 13th, 2021
- Online submission (Preferred method) - Upload your digital images and required information below
- Paper applications - Click here to download the application from our website. Mail or drop off with CD images and payment.
Note: Images must be no larger than 7mb (300 dpi, 2400 pixels on the longest side.) Image title and/or artwork file name must not contain your name in order to maintain anonymity for the juror.
For more information on this exhibition, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to obtain Artist Membership, please click here!
Technical difficulties? Please contact Submittable at 855-467-8264.