The Joan Aboff Memorial Art Scholarship, 2021
Available to Town of Huntington Residents Only
The Joan Aboff Memorial Art Scholarship is a competitive visual arts scholarship to Usdan; Summer Camp for the Arts for 11th and 12th grade students in the town of Huntington. The scholarship is funded by the Aboff family.
The scholarship is to Usdan; Summer Camp for the Arts for the 4 Week Session B and will be specifically for the Painting and Drawing major. The dates are from July 26 – August 20, 2021, weekdays. This includes 2 blocks (classes in 2 week increments) of consecutive classes. It is a value of $4550.00 and includes the fee for bus transportation.
About Joan Aboff
This award is being given in honor of the late Joan Aboff. Ms. Aboff was a strong supporter of local arts organizations and was very involved with her community. She volunteered frequently with the Huntington Arts Council and the Art League of Long Island. We appreciate her passion and dedication for the arts.
Usdan is the nation’s preeminent not-for-profit day camp for the arts. Profiled in The New York Times and in Time Magazine, Usdan has been declared a “Best Of” camp by TimeOutNY/Kids, and by NY Metro Parents. Diverse and playfully rigorous from the start, for over fifty years they have brought world-class teachers and visiting artists – actors, directors, playwrights, painters, sculptors, musicians, composers, dancers, poets and novelists – to teach and collaborate with Usdan campers ages 5 to 18. On 140 acres of natural beauty, students find the literal and metaphoric space to push their existing talents and delve into new ones. With classes in seven arts departments including Art, Chess, Creative Writing, Dance, Music, Nature & Sustainability, and Theater, every camper from beginning to advanced is guided on a path of individual creative growth by a team of artists and talented arts educators. Our alumni include Natalie Portman, Jackie Hoffman, Olivia Thirlby, Stacey London, and Lisa Gay Hamilton; singers Jane Monheit, Taylor Dayne, and Mariah Carey; award-winning playwright Michele Lowe, Grammy-Award winning producer Adam Abeshouse, Broadway personality Seth Rudetsky, Juilliard conductor Adam Glaser, and members of major American orchestras, and dance and theater companies. For more information about Usdan; Summer Camp for the Arts visit usdan.org.
2021 Scholarship Session Dates
- 4 week Session B Dates - July 26 – August 20, 2021, weekdays
- Candidates for this award must be a Town of Huntington resident.
- Candidates for this award must currently be a junior or senior in high school.
Application Due Date:
- The deadline is no later than Monday February 22, 2021 at 5pm.
How to Apply:
- Applications are being accepted online at HuntingtonArts.org. Go to programs, Arts in Education, Scholarships.
- Essay - A typed, double-spaced, one-page essay expressing how art has enriched the student’s life and describing the student's future goals as they relate to visual arts.
- JPEG of Artwork samples – two samples required
- Endorsement – Student should have an art teacher or high school teacher complete the endorsement form. Download here - Endorsement Form
- Applicants must submit the completed application materials online by Monday, February 22, 2021 at 5pm.
- The scholarship funds will be paid directly to Usdan.
- The scholarship must be used for the 4 week Session B July 26 – August 20, 2021, weekdays
- Winner must enroll by April 2nd, 2021. Please note, some classes fill very quickly, so early enrollment is the best way to ensure that students get the desired classes.
- Judging at all levels shall be on the following basis: recommendation, essay, and ability.
- Submitted applications will be reviewed and rated by the Huntington Arts Council and members of the Aboff family.
- The winner will be notified by March 8, 2021.
Contact Regina Van Bell, Arts in Education Coordinator - email@example.com.